THE FINE PRINT
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be completed and submitted for review by midnight on Friday, July 26. There will be NO EXTENSION offered and artists who do not complete their application on time will forfeit their position at ArtsGoggle with no refund.
EVENT DATE: Saturday, October 21, 2023
HOURS: Noon to 10pm
SET UP: Artist set up begins as early as 8:00am, depending on your assigned block.
FEE: $100 PER ARTIST non-refundable application fee. This is the only fee to participate in ArtsGoggle. Each year as ArtsGoggle grows, so do the operating costs of the event. The event has grown from 62 artists in 2013 to hosting more than 1,000 artists across more than 21 blocks and two miles of street closed to traffic in 2022. The 2022 ArtsGoggle attracted more than 60,000 patrons and we anticipate an equally large crowd this year. Your $100 helps us make this possible. Help us, help you have a great show.
THE ART SHOWN MUST BE MADE BY THE ARTIST PRESENT
Please do not apply if you are selling factory-made or mass-produced items. No direct sales or multi-level marketing companies allowed. Applications such as these will be rejected without refund. Art that is clearly not the original work of the artist, that is imported or purchased from a wholesaler or artwork that is deemed inappropriate (example: discriminatory or offensive) by Management will not be considered, and if it is identified during the festival the artist/booth attendant will be asked to leave without refund. There is no minimum or maximum for the number of works shown. Please use good judgement in providing enough artwork to have a strong presence but not so much that it overwhelms our booth, venue or the patrons. Simply put, ArtsGoggle only allows for the sale of artwork made by the artist presenting it at the festival. Reproductions of your own artwork, such as prints or giclée, are accepted.
TO QUALIFY FOR ARTSGOGGLE:
- You must be an artist selling or showcasing artwork that you have made. No MLM or corporate mass-production work. Pre-fabricated items that are modified will only be accepted if the modifications are significantly artistic in nature. For example, tumblers with font-based decals applied to them will not qualify as art. To be accepted, all artwork should be the product of an artist's unique artistic expression and skill. All acceptances are at the discretion of festival organizers.
- Your artwork must be deemed appropriate for a festival environment.
- You must be in attendance the day of the event.
- All artists must apply individually even if you are planning to share a booth space.
- You need to be aware of the supplies that you are required to bring to the festival that will be provided in writing if your application is approved for participation.
ELECTRICITY: ArtsGoggle provides generators throughout the Magnolia Avenue OUTDOOR festival site for and will coordinate a power connection for each artist during set up. We are able to provide a sufficient amount of power for each artist to have LED booth lights (we strongly recommend using LED lights if possible) and to charge ONE small electronic device. Our power supply is not sufficient for items with motors, fans or for booths needing a substantial amount of lighting. If you would like to discuss additional power accommodations, please make sure to detail this request on your application. Artists participating at ArtsGoggle at an indoor venue should discuss power arrangements directly with the venue.
ARTISTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING TENT AND ALL DISPLAY ITEMS NEEDED. This includes tents, tables, chairs, lights, hanging surfaces, etc. We do not provide tents, tables or chairs to artists. You will be responsible for bringing your own lighting, power strips and extension cords as well.
CULINARY ARTISTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SELL FOOD FOR CONSUMPTION AT ARTSGOGGLE. All food items must be packaged for consumption AFTER the event. For example, homemade jam, packaged spice rubs, or bottled sauces are allowed to register as Culinary Artists. Homemade cookies, toffee, or popcorns are NOT allowed to register as Culinary Artist because they can be easily eaten on site and should instead register as Food Vendors using a different application. Food sales for consumption at the event are the exclusive right of the ArtsGoggle food vendors who pay $250 to participate. If you would like to participate as an ArtsGoggle food vendor, please apply using that application.
Artist positions cannot be transferred, sublet, franchised or sold to any other person, nor can they be shared with another independent artist without written approval.
Acceptance and non-acceptance of applications will be at the sole discretion of ArtsGoggle Management and will be based on the information given by the applicant on their application, meeting with approval the expectation for quality, diversity and artistic merit.
CREDIT CARD STATEMENT Please note, your ArtsGoggle application payment will show up on your statement as HISTORIC SOUTHSIDE, INC. (the original name of our company before we began using the dba Near Southside Arts)
CANCELLATIONS Notification of non-attendance is required. If no notification is given the artist will be prohibited from participating in all future events. Your $100 application fee will not be refunded, as this is not a participation fee but instead an application fee, so even with notice of cancellation we cannot provide refunds.
GENERAL SUPPLY LIST THAT ARTISTS SHOULD PLAN FOR:
- Tent (10’x10’ or 10’x20’ based on your space request, any color is fine) We highly recommend Ez Up Tents, as they are sturdy, lightweight (in comparison to others) and have the necessary additions such as shelter walls, tent weights, and lighting systems that you may need. https://www.ezup.com
- Tent weights - You must bring at least four tent weights to secure the legs of your tent. We cannot use stakes, as we will be set up on the street, so heavy tent weights are important for everyone’s security. October is often windy. Be prepared.
- LED lights for your booth - we highly recommend LED because our power supply is limited and LED’s help make the most efficient use of our generators.
- An outdoor extension cord
- An outdoor power strip
- Display items for your artwork
- A chair - this really makes the day so much more enjoyable
- Comfortable shoes. Really, this is an important suggestion.
- A trash bag. You'll inevitably have your own trash to manage at the event. Please come prepared and don't rely solely on our festival trash cans that are designed for public use and may not be avaialble to you when you set up or breakdown at ArtsGoggle.
- Battery backups for your phone and/or electronic device. The power is not on the minute ArtsGoggle begins so it’s important to bring a battery backup device to keep your phone/ipad charged to make sales and stay aware of festival alerts. Email will be our primary means of community during the event so you’ll want to make sure to have your mail accessible on your phone please.
- A helper for set up - if possible, we highly recommend they arrive in your car with you. After you unload onto the street, and before you set up your tent, you’ll need them to go park the car for you. Cars cannot stay on the street while you set up your booth.
- A support person to help you throughout the day. ArtsGoggle is a 14+ hour endurance test, make sure you have some backup!
- A small cooler with drinks (non-alcoholic) for you and your team. This must remain hidden from the public in order to comply with our food vendor policy.
- Signs! Your booth with be among nearly one thousand others so make sure to plan for how you will stand out among the crowd. Booths with strong branding, such as signs that can easily be seen from a distance, memorable color choices, and inviting entry spaces are always more successful at public festivals. Make sure to consider the wind when printing signs. We recommend "blow through vinyl mesh" for any large-scale printed pieces.
WEATHER POLICY Management is not responsible for adverse weather conditions so there are NO REFUNDS FOR THIS REASON. The event will operate in varying weather conditions and artist must be prepared for adverse weather. Depending on the severity of the weather forecast, ArtsGoggle Management reserves the right to delay the event opening, close early, cancel the event, or postpone to another date for the safety of all involved. If ArtsGoggle is delayed, cancelled, or postponed due to weather all artists will be notified via email with as much advanced notice as possible. We understand the amount of time, effort and money that is required to participate in an event such as ArtsGoggle and greatly appreciate your commitment. All decisions will be made keeping in mind the substantial investments that are made by participating artist, food vendors, sponsors, entertainers, venues and volunteers. PLEASE, we cannot stress this enough, please keep your phone or other devices charged and handy so that you are able to monitor your email beginning 72 hours prior to ArtsGoggle and during the event. Artists who have work that is especially vulnerable to weather must use their best judgment about the risks of participating in an outdoor event. If an artist should choose not to participate due to adverse weather conditions, we request that the artist notify management via email. Management will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or injury whatsoever resulting from adverse weather conditions.